If you use Outlook online search and type a letter, same message appears “No matches found”
Solution is easy but really critic but there is another way which can help you to fix your problem and other problems. Rollup 6 for Exchange Server 2010 with SP1 has been announced. you can deploy Rollup 6 to your Exchange farm. here is the details: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=2608646
Anyway, you don’t want to deploy Rollup 6, here is the solution.
Be careful because playing registry can be dangerous.
After you install the update rollup, follow these steps to set the maximum number of query restriction nodes to 1,000,000 (decimal):
- Verify how many Event ID 9877 with 0x80041606 events in the Application log you have received on a particular Exchange Server 2010 mailbox server in the past month and make a record of the number.
- Click Start Collapse this imageExpand this image, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
- Locate and then click the following registry key:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftExchangeServerv14ExSearch
- Click Edit, point to New, and then click Key.
- Type MaxRestrictionNodes, and then press ENTER.
- Under MaxRestrictionNodes, click Edit, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
- Type Server, and then press ENTER.
- The Registry entry should now resemble the following:
- Click Edit, and then click Modify.
- . In the Value data box, type 1000000 (Decimal). Note The default value of the MaxRestrictionNodes entry is 200000 (Decimal) before you make any changes to the Registry.
- . Exit Registry Editor.
After restart Microsoft Exchange searching service, check Application logs. If you have one them, you probably did something wrong.
- Event ID 130 Failed to convert the MailboxDB Guid read in from under the MaxRestrictionNodes registry key to a Guid
- Event ID 131 Failed to open the MaxRestrictionNodes registry key
- Event ID 132 Failed to set the MaxRestrictionNodes property in the indexer
In the application log, there is still same error then increase number to 200000 but this can decrease server’s performance.